Tom Overbye is a Distinguished Research Professor with the Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) Smart Grid Center in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Texas A&M University. He received his BSEE (’83), MSEE (’88) and PhD (’91) all from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Wisconsin-Madison.
A former Fox Family Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, he has a wealth of industry experience. Dr. Overbye’s is the original developer of the PowerWorld software and co-founder of PowerWorld Corporation. Prior to PowerWorld, Dr. Overbye spent time at the Madison Gas and Electric Company (’83-’91). Dr. Overbye was also one of the principal DOE investigators following the August 14, 2003 U.S. blackouts.
- B.S. Electrical Engineering University of Wisconsin 1983
- M.S. Electrical Engineering University of Wisconsin 1988
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering University of Wisconsin 1991
- Power Systems Operation and Control
- Power System Stability
- Power System Analysis by Computer Methods
- Power System Visualization
- Renewable Electric Energy Systems
- Smart Grid Cyber Security
- Power System Geomagnetic Disturbance Modeling and EMP